The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in Fashion Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The School of Art and Design offers 17 degree programs and is home to fashion majors, a breadth of visual communication majors and fields as unique as toy design and visual presentation and exhibition design.
Art and Design faculty are industry professionals and foster meaningful curriculum that seeks to maximize the creative and technical potential in each student. Each major in the School of Art and Design is committed to stimulating analytical and independent thinking and faculty are committed to enriching student knowledge of global influences. Faculty members prepare students for entry and advancement in art and design careers and provide a collaborative environment that offers a rich and diverse array of interdisciplinary art and design-related projects and competitions.
The Fashion Design program provides the expertise students need to develop the skills necessary to become superior candidates for positions in the fashion industry and related fields.
The program offers a wide range of learning experiences through the rigorous AAS and BFA curricula. Students develop critical thinking, strong creative design development and technical skills. Faculty members are industry professionals who draw on industry and advisory board connections to provide students with an in-depth view of the fashion design industry.
The ideal candidate must be knowledgeable in sustainable fashion innovation and have the ability to lead ethical fashion methodology and curricular development for the Fashion Design Department at FIT. The candidate should be able to inspire undergraduate faculty and students to develop interdisciplinary collaborations and pursue non-traditional design approaches with responsible solutions to design challenges as they pertain to sustainable design, sourcing and production.
The ideal candidate should have varying levels of design leadership experience and knowledge about effective social media communication. The ideal candidate will also be knowledgeable about successful ethical fashion practices across a number of current approaches and will demonstrate a specialized area of strength in sustainable fashion design from the fashion designer's perspective. These areas include but are not limited to: recycle?reuse of pre-and post-consumer waste, sustainable development, Fair Trade, new business models, design intervention, responsible sourcing, and sustainable materials. The candidate must possess strong design development and brand building expertise, and should be able to highlight contributions made to exhibitions, lectures, publications and/or research.
Specific competencies sought as related to the position include:
- Demonstrate ability to work within, and to support and maintain productive relationships in multicultural environments, and model inclusive behaviors for students.
- Demonstrate awareness and values of sustainable design domestic and international levels, applying those values to the design to process that is environmentally, socially and fiscally responsible.
- Demonstrate ability to incorporate a variety of instructional delivery methods including the use of demonstrations and specific project assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to use technology and electronic information to deliver course materials to students.
- Demonstrate ability to be responsive to industry changes and/or practices including technology.
- Integrate conceptual development, collections/line building through expected technical skill sets for apparel prototype making/creation.
- Possess a vision of future-based fashion industry direction coupled with a high appreciation of historical past practice and its ongoing evolution.
- Embrace the role of faculty as facilitators, mentors and integrators information and knowledge.
- Possess the ability to inspire and encourage curiosity and creativity.
- Demonstrate ability to create learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem solving and informative literary skills.
- Utilize professional knowledge and experience for collaboration and teamwork within the classroom.
- Possess knowledge of and appreciation for the fashion design development process as applied to consumer product.
- Maintain active engagement with sustainability through professional experiences, in self-directed scholarly research, and/or expression through creative works.
- Maintain active engagement in the fashion industry including current connections and/or industry membership/affiliation to organizations.
- Maintain a continued focus on creative and scholarly work specific to the discipline.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively speak on behalf of the department and/or College with industry supporters.
- Possess ability to organize and lead committees, take on special initiatives, both for the department and the College.
- Demonstrate strong leadership, self-motivation and team player qualities.
- Demonstrate proven experience and commitment to maintaining updated technological skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrate a track record and commitment to maintaining updated technical skills and knowledge.
Bachelor's degree required. Six (6) years of professional experience as a fashion designer. Presentation of a strong fashion portfolio showcasing his/her professional work inclusive of relevant press and/or industry acknowledgements.
Master's degree is preferred. Three (3) years or more college-level teaching experience preferred. Digital skills and specific apparel software skills as utilized by fashion designers are a plus.
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning in Fall 2016. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and experience.
Please note that that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
For Application Instructions and to Apply Now, click here.